dcd123

Default countif criteria only one word of few doesn't work

I am trying to use countif where the criteria in some cases will be one
word from a cell that has several words in it. I'm getting a total
count of 0 in these instances. Is there a way to set the criteria to
work this way or perhaps a different counting function?

Thanks!

--
dcd123
dcd123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25396

RagDyer

Say you're looking for "Tom" in Column E:

=COUNTIF(E1:E25,"*Tom*")

--
HTH,

RD

"dcd123" wrote in
message ...

I am trying to use countif where the criteria in some cases will be one
word from a cell that has several words in it. I'm getting a total
count of 0 in these instances. Is there a way to set the criteria to
work this way or perhaps a different counting function?

Thanks!

--
dcd123
dcd123's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397377

Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"*whatever*")

Biff

"dcd123" wrote in
message ...

I am trying to use countif where the criteria in some cases will be one
word from a cell that has several words in it. I'm getting a total
count of 0 in these instances. Is there a way to set the criteria to
work this way or perhaps a different counting function?

Thanks!

--
dcd123
dcd123's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397377

dcd123

Thank you very much. It worked! I knew there must be a way and I tried
a couple of variations of this suggestion, I just didn't put them
together. Thanks again!