ARH

Default Apostrophes instead of equals in Excel

I've "inherited" someone else's office. The Excel on that computer is such if
I type an equals and a formula, it puts an apostrophe at the beginning and
converts it to text. I can highlight and change back to an equals and it will
calculate, but I shouldn't have to do this. If you don't type an equals and
just input a simple calculation like division, it will calculate in the cell,
but should you add something like an instruction to round the result, it adds
the apostrophe and changes it to text again. I'm sure some setting has been
changed. If you can steer me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative.
Michael

Hi
Have a look at Tools / Auto Correct
You can either Uncheck "Replace text as you type" or find the offending line
in the list box and either edit or delete it.

HTH
Michael Mitchelson

"ARH" wrote:

I've "inherited" someone else's office. The Excel on that computer is such if
I type an equals and a formula, it puts an apostrophe at the beginning and
converts it to text. I can highlight and change back to an equals and it will
calculate, but I shouldn't have to do this. If you don't type an equals and
just input a simple calculation like division, it will calculate in the cell,
but should you add something like an instruction to round the result, it adds
the apostrophe and changes it to text again. I'm sure some setting has been
changed. If you can steer me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative.

Michael

My pleasure.
Just put the cheque in the mail.
Just kidding, glad to help.