Dedrie

Default Formatting Subtotals

I have a worksheet that has 102 departments. Is there anyway that when I
subtotal by department I can have it automatically add color to that line.
For example, could I have it bold and highlight in yellow all subtotalled
lines? I'd also like to add formats around the subtotals such as double
underlines.

On a similar but different way of skinning the cat (I'm not even sure why
you would skin a cat so don't call PETA on me!)...could I do some sort of
macro that would insert a line before the subtotal and add some text to a
specific column of the "subtotal" line and highlight it in a different color
and double underline.
Dave Peterson

I think you have a couple of options.

1. Use the outlining symbols on the left to show just the subtotal lines
Select that range
edit|goto|special|check visible cells only
format those selected cells anyway you want.

2. Use format|conditional formatting.
Select your range
(assuming that Total/Count/Average/etc is in column A.)
format|conditional formatting
formula is:
=isnumber(search("total",$A1))
(with A1 the activecell)
(change to count/average depending on what function you used)

Format|conditional formatting will allow you to add borders, fill color,
and font color (and other stuff, too).

--

Dave Peterson
Robert

Dedrie, see my later posting under "Dedrie, Formatting Subtotals".
--
Robert