-   -   How do I set up an array using countif for 2 separate arguments. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/40253-how-do-i-set-up-array-using-countif-2-separate-arguments.html)

crich

How do I set up an array using countif for 2 separate arguments.

I want the cell to count, but only if 2 separate arguments are met. Can that
be done?

Aladin Akyurek

Care to provide a bit more info, preferably by means of a tiny sample
along with the expected count?

crich wrote:
I want the cell to count, but only if 2 separate arguments are met. Can that
be done?

Ashish Mathur

Hi,

Name Dept Grade

Sam A 1
Patrick A 2
David A 1

If you want to count the number pf people who are in Department A and have
grade 1, enter the following formula

Array enter (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) the following formula in cell E10

SUM(IF((D6:D8="A")*(E6:E8=1),1,0))

Regards,

"crich" wrote:

I want the cell to count, but only if 2 separate arguments are met. Can that
be done?

crich

I tried this, but the formula didn't work. It just returns a value of 0.
BUT, I really think we are getting close. Any more ideas? Thanks.

"crich" wrote:

I want the cell to count, but only if 2 separate arguments are met. Can that
be done?

crich

The example is as Ashish wrote below, but the formula didn't work. It just
returns a value of 0. BUT, I really think we are getting close. Thanks.

crich wrote:
I want the cell to count, but only if 2 separate arguments are met. Can that
be done?

Aladin Akyurek

The suggested formula should yield the count you need. Note that the
formula must be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just with enter.