spackler

Default Need Help with SUM function

I have a software program that kicks out Excel reports with data from
its fields and I need to add the cells up. I can put the =SUM(A1:D1)
formula in a field within the software so it adds up A1 through D1 no
problem but the simple =SUM(A1:D1) then shows up in row 2. So where it
should be =SUM(A2:D2) Excel is taking the literall text in the field so
it is not working beyond row 1. I get =SUM(A1:D1) in all rows.

My thinking is to come up with a formula that uses the ROW() function
to tell the next cell down to use the proper formula so I'm trying
=SUM(A(ROW()):D(ROW())) and it is not working. I think I'm on the right
track but don't quite know the syntacs.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--
spackler
spackler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26212

Vasant Nanavati

=SUM(INDIRECT("A"&ROW()&":D"&ROW()))

--

Vasant

"spackler" wrote in
message ...

[...]

spackler

Great. Awesome. Perfect. Thanks Vasant!

Now I'm trying to do the same thing with =I2-P2 and =D2/A2 and having
no luck adapting what you gave me above for the SUM.

For the subtraction I was trying :
=SUM(INDIRECT("I"&ROW()&"-P"&ROW()))

or

=(INDIRECT("I"&ROW()&"-P"&ROW())) with no luck.

I have not tried the division yet as I realize my function
understanding is lacking...

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--
spackler
spackler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26212
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=395191

Vasant Nanavati

INDIRECT is not really intuitive (at least not to me). It usually takes me a
bit of trial=and-error.

Try:

=INDIRECT("I"&ROW())-INDIRECT("P"&ROW())

and:

=INDIRECT("D"&ROW())/INDIRECT("A"&ROW())

--

Vasant

"spackler" wrote in
message ...

Great. Awesome. Perfect. Thanks Vasant!

Now I'm trying to do the same thing with =I2-P2 and =D2/A2 and having
no luck adapting what you gave me above for the SUM.

For the subtraction I was trying :
=SUM(INDIRECT("I"&ROW()&"-P"&ROW()))

or

=(INDIRECT("I"&ROW()&"-P"&ROW())) with no luck.

I have not tried the division yet as I realize my function
understanding is lacking...

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--
spackler
spackler's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=395191

spackler

Those look to be working, thanks again!

--
spackler
spackler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26212
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=395191

I NEED HELP with the SPELLNUMBER Function vag Excel Worksheet Functions 0 June 21st 05 08:17 AM
Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM