TimH

Default sumif criteria reference

It seems like such a simple question. Range B5:C47 is a list of dates (in
order, but some repeating) and a list of dollar amounts (deposits made on
that day). I want to add up all the deposits on a given date. In column E I
have a list of dates, in column F I want the sum of the corresponding date.
So for example, in E5 I have the first date. In F5 I have this (which
returns an error): SUMIF(B5:B47,"=E5", C5:C47). I want to return the sum of
all deposits on the date in cell E5.
Roger Govier

Try
=SUMIF(B5:B47,"="&E5, C5:C47)

or
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B5:B47=E5),C5:C47)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"TimH" wrote in message
It seems like such a simple question. Range B5:C47 is a list of dates (in
order, but some repeating) and a list of dollar amounts (deposits made on
that day). I want to add up all the deposits on a given date. In column E
have a list of dates, in column F I want the sum of the corresponding
date.
So for example, in E5 I have the first date. In F5 I have this (which
returns an error): SUMIF(B5:B47,"=E5", C5:C47). I want to return the sum
of
all deposits on the date in cell E5.

Aladin Akyurek

Not the 2nd, please.

Roger Govier wrote:
Try
=SUMIF(B5:B47,"="&E5, C5:C47)

or
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B5:B47=E5),C5:C47)

Roger Govier

And why not, Aladin?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Aladin Akyurek" wrote in message
Not the 2nd, please.

Roger Govier wrote:
Try
=SUMIF(B5:B47,"="&E5, C5:C47)

or
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B5:B47=E5),C5:C47)

Aladin Akyurek

Because processing array objects takes more time than range objects.
Since SumIf does the latter and fits the task at hand (single-condition
summing), a SumIf formula would be better.

Roger Govier wrote:
And why not, Aladin?