Rosendo

Default how do I include a "do nothing choice" in an IF

I want to keep the current value of a cell if certain condition exist, or
chage it if that condition does not exist. Is that posible without using a
circular referencies ?

IF (CONDICTION, CHANGE THE VALUE, KEEP THE PREVIOUS VALUE)
Bob Phillips

You cannot do that. By entering a formula, you immediately overwrite what
was previously there. In other words, a cell holds a value or a formula, not
both.

You would need to put the formula in another cell.

--

HTH

RP

"Rosendo" wrote in message
I want to keep the current value of a cell if certain condition exist, or
chage it if that condition does not exist. Is that posible without

using a
circular referencies ?

IF (CONDICTION, CHANGE THE VALUE, KEEP THE PREVIOUS VALUE)

Bob Phillips

No you cannot, not with a function.

Best you get is in say C1 use

=IF(condition,B1,"")

you could hide column B so that you only see the result, not the route to
that result.

--

HTH

RP

"Rosendo" wrote in message
I want to keep the current value of a cell if certain condition exist,

or
chage it if that condition does not exist. Is that posible without

using a
circular referencies ?

IF (CONDICTION, CHANGE THE VALUE, KEEP THE PREVIOUS VALUE)

Bob Doyle

This is quite possible without using circular references, per se. For
instance, if you wish to change the value of B2 only if the value of B1
is less than 1000, then you would write the following formula in cell
B2:

=IF(B1<1000,B1,B2)

Cell B2 would retain its value if B1 is greater than or equal to 1000,
but replace its value if B1 is less than 1000.

Bob Doyle

--
Bob Doyle
Bob Doyle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25473

Bob Phillips

Yeah, that is simple, but the OP wanted to put it in B1.

--

HTH

RP

"Bob Doyle" wrote