Zach

Default help me write function?

I have an excel table which is pretty simple, but putting together code is
not one of my specialties. Each "record" is listed across a row, and each
column of that row is a characteristic. I need a function which lays out
like this: (things in quotes will be examples)

IF "D1=chicken" then "F1=cluck" or something to that extent. I tried using
Find and Replace, but it just gets too complicated the way i was trying it
before. Any help would be AWESOME.

Bernie Deitrick

Zach,

If cell F1, use a formula like

=IF(D1="Chicken","Cluck",IF(D1="Cow","Moo","Not a cow or chicken"))

I extended it because you wanted "something to that extent." <g

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Zach" wrote in message
I have an excel table which is pretty simple, but putting together code is
not one of my specialties. Each "record" is listed across a row, and each
column of that row is a characteristic. I need a function which lays out
like this: (things in quotes will be examples)

IF "D1=chicken" then "F1=cluck" or something to that extent. I tried using
Find and Replace, but it just gets too complicated the way i was trying it
before. Any help would be AWESOME.

Bernie Deitrick

Zach,

Copy it and paste it down your column to match your data. The D1 will change to D2, D3, etc.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Zach" wrote in message
I have an excel table which is pretty simple, but putting together code is
not one of my specialties. Each "record" is listed across a row, and each
column of that row is a characteristic. I need a function which lays out
like this: (things in quotes will be examples)

IF "D1=chicken" then "F1=cluck" or something to that extent. I tried using
Find and Replace, but it just gets too complicated the way i was trying it
before. Any help would be AWESOME.

Zach

It's perfect, thanks to you both for helping me out. Smooth sailing from
here on out.

"Zach" wrote in message
I have an excel table which is pretty simple, but putting together code is
not one of my specialties. Each "record" is listed across a row, and each
column of that row is a characteristic. I need a function which lays out
like this: (things in quotes will be examples)

IF "D1=chicken" then "F1=cluck" or something to that extent. I tried using
Find and Replace, but it just gets too complicated the way i was trying it
before. Any help would be AWESOME.

Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
write a function to determine if cells have names andrewm Excel Worksheet Functions 5 June 9th 05 07:28 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM