adeel afzal via OfficeKB.com

Default how can i trace position in marks sheet

i have a school marks sheet. i calculate total no. percentage. grade.. but i
dont understand how can i calculate positions...
i tried many time but i cant understand how can i work with ranks. coz i find
the highest marks with max function and lowest with the min function but plz
tell me how can i find second highest and third and so on.......
plz help me

like . 2nd 3rd 4th........

M Adeel Afzal
Thanks in advance....
Roger Govier

To find the 1st second third highest etc. as you asked, then
=LARGE(A1:A100,1) ,2 for second largest, ,3 for third largest etc.

But, why not mark your whole range of Data, and sort by the column
containing total marks or percentage, whichever you want.

NOTE.
Please save a copy of your data before carrying out SORT. If you get it
wrong, you can make a real mess of your work.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"adeel afzal via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message

i have a school marks sheet. i calculate total no. percentage. grade.. but
dont understand how can i calculate positions...
i tried many time but i cant understand how can i work with ranks. coz i
find
the highest marks with max function and lowest with the min function but
plz
tell me how can i find second highest and third and so on.......
plz help me

like . 2nd 3rd 4th........

M Adeel Afzal
Thanks in advance....

Ron de Bruin

Hi

Look in the help for the Large function

LARGE(array,k)

Array is the array or range of data for which you want to determine the k-th largest value.
K is the position (from the largest) in the array or cell range of data to return.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl