Bal

Default Drop-Down Colours

Rather than select from a list of data values I would like to offer the user
a choice of 3 cell colours to apply.
Is this possible and if it is could someone kindly point me in the right
direction?

Many thanks

Bal

Debra Dalgleish

You can't show colours in a dropdown list, but you could show colour
names. Then, in the cell that you want coloured, use conditional
formatting, based on the colour name in the cell with the list.

For example, if cell B2 contains the list of colour names, and cell C2
will be coloured with the selected colour:

Select cell C2, and choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
In the formula box, type: =B2="Red"
Click the Format button, and on the Pattern tab, choose Red
Click OK, then click Add

Add formulas for the remaining two colours.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Bal

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote in message
You can't show colours in a dropdown list, but you could show colour
names. Then, in the cell that you want coloured, use conditional
formatting, based on the colour name in the cell with the list.

For example, if cell B2 contains the list of colour names, and cell C2
will be coloured with the selected colour:

Select cell C2, and choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is

Bal wrote:
Rather than select from a list of data values I would like to offer the
user a choice of 3 cell colours to apply.
Is this possible and if it is could someone kindly point me in the right
direction?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List