Greta

Default How can I convert Text into numbers?

I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel. Unfortunately, instead of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is imported and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead of : Yes( ) No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx
RagDyer

Try using "Edit - Replace"

In "Find What", enter:
<Space(select)<Space

"Replace with:
<Space(1)<Space
--
HTH,

RD

"Greta" wrote in message
I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel. Unfortunately, instead

of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is imported

and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead of : Yes( )

No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx

RagDyer

I might have mis-read your post when you said to replace text with numbers.
My suggestion returns text that looks like a number.

If you need an actual number, as recognized by XL, post back with the
configuration of the data *after* it's in XL.

That is, exactly what data is in an individual cell?

The entire Answer, or just the parenthesis, or the Yes and No together with
the parenthesis ... or what?

RD

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try using "Edit - Replace"

In "Find What", enter:
<Space(select)<Space

"Replace with:
<Space(1)<Space
--
HTH,

RD

"Greta" wrote in message
I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel. Unfortunately,

instead
of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is

imported
and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead of :

Yes( )
No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx

Greta

thanks so much for your reply.

The exact data that is in the cell is the word "selected". I want to convert
all "selected" in the cells to a number. e.g. that excel automatically
converts the word once it is entered in the cell. So if I would type in
"selected" in the cell, it would change it automatically to a 1.

Thanks

"RagDyer" wrote:

I might have mis-read your post when you said to replace text with numbers.
My suggestion returns text that looks like a number.

If you need an actual number, as recognized by XL, post back with the
configuration of the data *after* it's in XL.

That is, exactly what data is in an individual cell?

The entire Answer, or just the parenthesis, or the Yes and No together with
the parenthesis ... or what?

RD

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try using "Edit - Replace"

In "Find What", enter:
<Space(select)<Space

"Replace with:
<Space(1)<Space
--
HTH,

RD

"Greta" wrote in message
I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel. Unfortunately,

instead
of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is

imported
and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead of :

Yes( )
No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx

RagDyer

If I understand what you're asking, you're talking about two different
things here.

1] You're talking about *replacing* imported data?!?!
2] You're talking about *entering* new data?!?!

Do I understanding your question?

For number 1, my original suggestion will still work, if you just revise the
parameters *and* the cells are not formatted to Text:

In "Find What", enter "select" (no quotes).
In "Replace With", enter "1" (no quotes).

For number 2, you'll have to tell me why, if you can enter the word
"select", you can't just as well enter the number "1".

RD

"RagDyer" wrote:

I might have mis-read your post when you said to replace text with

numbers.
My suggestion returns text that looks like a number.

If you need an actual number, as recognized by XL, post back with the
configuration of the data *after* it's in XL.

That is, exactly what data is in an individual cell?

The entire Answer, or just the parenthesis, or the Yes and No together

with
the parenthesis ... or what?

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try using "Edit - Replace"

In "Find What", enter:
<Space(select)<Space

"Replace with:
<Space(1)<Space
--
HTH,

RD

"Greta" wrote in message
I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel. Unfortunately,

instead
of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is

imported
and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead of :

Yes( )
No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they

automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx

Greta

HI,

I know about (1).

The problem is that my data is collected through a survey whose results are
stored in a "excel-like" format. We are talking about 2000 lines with 156
rows. That's why I do not want to manually change "selected" to 1. And
certainly, I could do your suggestion (1), however I thought there must be
something else than find&replace.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try and see how I get along with
find&Replace

"RagDyer" wrote:

I might have mis-read your post when you said to replace text with

numbers.
My suggestion returns text that looks like a number.

If you need an actual number, as recognized by XL, post back with the
configuration of the data *after* it's in XL.

That is, exactly what data is in an individual cell?

The entire Answer, or just the parenthesis, or the Yes and No together

with
the parenthesis ... or what?

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try using "Edit - Replace"

In "Find What", enter:
<Space(select)<Space

"Replace with:
<Space(1)<Space
--
HTH,

RD

"Greta" wrote in message
I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel. Unfortunately,
instead
of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is
imported
and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead of :
Yes( )
No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they

automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx

RagDyer

Don't forget what I said about the cells *not* being formatted as Text.
"Edit - Replace" will not change the format for you, but will return a
*Text* "1".

Do you really need a "real" number? ... for further calculations?
Don't forget, if you're totaling, SUM() *will* work with "Text" numbers.

RD

"RagDyer" wrote:

I might have mis-read your post when you said to replace text with

numbers.
My suggestion returns text that looks like a number.

If you need an actual number, as recognized by XL, post back with

the
configuration of the data *after* it's in XL.

That is, exactly what data is in an individual cell?

The entire Answer, or just the parenthesis, or the Yes and No

together
with
the parenthesis ... or what?

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may

benefit
!

-

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try using "Edit - Replace"

In "Find What", enter:
<Space(select)<Space

"Replace with:
<Space(1)<Space
--
HTH,

RD
Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may

benefit!

"Greta" wrote in message
I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel.

Unfortunately,
instead
of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is
imported
and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead

of :
Yes( )
No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they

automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx

RagDyer

Just had a thought.

I can't try it myself right now, but maybe you can.

*Before* importing, try "AutoCorrect", and set it up so that "select" (no
quotes) is replaced with a 1.

Love to know if that would work!<g
--
HTH,

RD

"RagDyer" wrote:

I might have mis-read your post when you said to replace text with

numbers.
My suggestion returns text that looks like a number.

If you need an actual number, as recognized by XL, post back with

the
configuration of the data *after* it's in XL.

That is, exactly what data is in an individual cell?

The entire Answer, or just the parenthesis, or the Yes and No

together
with
the parenthesis ... or what?

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may

benefit
!

-

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try using "Edit - Replace"

In "Find What", enter:
<Space(select)<Space

"Replace with:
<Space(1)<Space
--

"Greta" wrote in message
I have imported data from a survey tool into Excel.

Unfortunately,
instead
of
importing the selected fields in a question with a number, it is
imported
and
shown as text (i.e. Question 1: Yes ( ), No (selected) instead

of :
Yes( )
No
(1))

Can anyone tell me how I can program the cells that they

automatically
convert the text (selected) into a number?

Thanx

reloadinternet

The other guy was going on a bit. Did you ever work an autocomplete
solution?

thanks

rish

--