Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

Default REALLY COMPLICATED--the sooner you can help the better

Okay...I have never used VB before so please try and tell me some way to do
this with formulas, if that is not possible then please direct or explain to
me how to do enter/use the vb code you provide.

I have two sheets, formula.xls and names.xls.

On my names xls. I have 10 empty columns called Code1 through Code 10.

I take random data from names.xls and move it to formula.xls. When its moved
to formula.xls, there is a column there called CODE that is created that
changes with every record. I have about 40K rows in names.xls and only 10K
in formula.xls....I only copy certain chunks from names.xls to formula.xls.
Every record has a specific record number also.

I want to be able to say, USE CODE1, or CODE2 (I want to be able to change it
every mailing i do) and I want the CODE1 field in my names.xls to contain the
code created by formula.xls for that particular record. Formula.xls will
constantly be cleared out and stuff will be repasted back in there, so I dont
want something that will just link it.....Or if you could even tell me a way
to get it linked and I could just write a macro to copy and paste special,
values....that'll work. I know you are probably thinking why dont you just
make the code formula for the names.xls but i can't...if i tell you why it
just becomes more complicated for you but if you would like i will.

I know i made this superrrrr complicated, but if you think you could help I
would really appreciate it...I am even willing to pay someone for their time
if they want to talk to me over the phone through this. Just post on here .

Thanks,

Derek Yaldo

Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

Let me explain this part better....

"I want to be able to say, USE CODE1, or CODE2 (I want to be able to change
it
every mailing i do) and I want the CODE1 field in my names.xls to contain the
code created by formula.xls for that particular record"

I might take records 1-200 from names and paste them into formula, then i
might take records 500-3000 from names and paste them into formula. I might
take records 9595, 50503, 22044 and paste them into formula......formula will
create the code column for every one of those records but i want that code to
also be placed in the CODE1 or 2 or 3 (whatever i choose) column for the
appropriate record.

Thanks

Derek Y wrote:
[...]

Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

Anyone....???

Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

I learned how to copy VB code and run it as a macro?? :) haha should i just
get a book and read up on INDEX and MATCH functions??

I think I need to do something like that IF or VLOOKUP so that I can pick the
column it should go in.... but i'm still pretty lost.

Derek Y via OfficeKB.com

I DID IT!!!!!

=IF(Code1=ifthen.xls!CODECOL,INDEX('[ifthen.xls]Final Merge Fields'!$1:$65536,
MATCH(A47947,'[ifthen.xls]Final Merge Fields'!$A:$A,0),MATCH("Code",'[ifthen.
xls]Final Merge Fields'!$1:$1,0)),"")

YESSSS i'm so excited