AFNovice

Default Negative r-squared?

When performing regression analysis, Excel returns an r-squared of -3....how
can the square be negative, and how can it be greater than 1 if r ranges from
-1.0 to 1.0?

GeorgeF

You have stated a truth; the correlation coefficient must exist between
-1.o and 1.0, OTHERWISE, there is something wrong with either the data
or the calculation. I would look at the data to be sue it was properly
displayed. I know this doesn't give you an exact answer to your math,
but it does reinforce your initial belief. George F.

--
GeorgeF
GeorgeF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24124

Mike Middleton

AFNovice -

See the Regression section of this article:

Description of the effects of the improved statistical functions for the
Analysis ToolPak in Excel 2003 and in Excel 2004 for Mac

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com