Kwanjangnim

Default Average last 6

hi all
i've had a look through all the other threads but haven't bee able to find
the solution i'm looking for, basically i have a column which has a numeric
value entered (in each row) according to results in other cells. see example
below

1 l 10
2 l -10
3 l 12
4 l 0
5 l 16
6 l -11
7 l 10
8 l
9 l

i need a funchtion that will average ONLY the last 6 results (a2:a7), this
column will be updated as new results are added, therefore the range that
needs to be averaged will constantly change to so that ONLY the last 6
entries will be averaged.
(a1:a50) will be the max range so cells with no entries (blanK) will need to
be ignored. can anyone help?

Kwanjangnim

thanks for the code, it worked well when i tested it in a blank worksheet,
however for some reason it doesn't work when placed in my worksheet, i keep
getting a 'divide by zero error' but all i changed from your formula was the
col range and the start row and end row no.s
=AVERAGE(B76:INDEX(B7:B76,SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(ROW(7:7 6)*(B7:B76<""),6)))) the
empty cells that are awaiting results from other cells have been formulated
to display blank but i keep getting 'DIV/0' can you sort this for me?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Ragdyer

I must say that Bob did a good job with this formula!

However, there's just a coincidence between the range in his example and the
actual size of the range itself.

Your range is 70 rows, so revise your formula to this:

=AVERAGE(B76:INDEX(B7:B76,SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(ROW(1:7 0)*(B7:B76<""),6))))
--
HTH,

RD

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

davidm

Just curious. How can Bob's formula be tweaked to handle a generic
situation where* the last 6 rows in Column A* are always averaged.

--
davidm
davidm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20645

davidm

Just curious. How can Bob's formula be tweaked to handle a generic
situation where* the last 6 rows in Column A* are always averaged.

|Filename: encdcpt.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3621 |

davidm
davidm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20645
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389720

Bob Phillips

Hi David,

=AVERAGE(A65336:INDEX(A1:A65336,SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(R OW(1:65336)*(A1:A65336<""
),6))))

although you wont want many of these in your spreadsheet <g

--

HTH

RP

"davidm" wrote in
message ...

Just curious. How can Bob's formula be tweaked to handle a generic
situation where* the last 6 rows in Column A* are always averaged.

--
davidm
davidm's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389720

RagDyer

If you revised your formula as I suggested, and you're still getting that
#DIV/0! error, then I would guess that your numbers are *not numbers*.

Now, your OP said that these numbers were the *results* from other cells.

Are there formulas in B7:B76?

If so, post back with the formulas.

Also, you could try this formula to test the contents of Column B:

=ISNUMBER(B7)&"-"&LEN(B7)

Copy down and make sure that you see "True", and that the number returned
matches the visible characters in the formula bar ( i.e formats - $ - don't
count)

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

I must say that Bob did a good job with this formula!

However, there's just a coincidence between the range in his example and

the
actual size of the range itself.

Your range is 70 rows, so revise your formula to this:

=AVERAGE(B76:INDEX(B7:B76,SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(ROW(1:7 0)*(B7:B76<""),6))))
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

[...]

Kwanjangnim

yeah there are formulas in b7:b76
"=IF(ISNA(N18+(SUM(I18:M18))),"",N18+(SUM(I18:M18) ))"

=AVERAGE(B76:INDEX(B7:B76,SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(ROW(1:7 0)*(B7:B76<""),6)))) is
what you revised, but i just wanted to check that "(ROW(1:70)" not ment to be
"(ROW(7:76)" it doesn't matter anyway coz i still get "div/0" error

will use the "=ISNUMBER(B7)&"-"&LEN(B7)" to validate col b and get back to you

thanks for your help so far

[...]

Kwanjangnim

update: not that it matter for the examples i'm testing but in my worksheet
b7:b76 is actually r7:r76

and the validation formula returned "false-0" "=ISNUMBER(r18)&"-"&LEN(r18)"

cheers
colin

[...]

RagDyeR

You got a return of "False-0" for R18?!?!?!

When you just said that those cells contained the formula:
"=IF(ISNA(N18+(SUM(I18:M18))),"",N18+(SUM(I18:M18) ))"

Does that means that you have a #N/A error in the I18:N18 range, and R18
looks empty?

Also, is the entire R6:R76 range populated with the IF() formula?

Perhaps you might wish to send me a copy of your sheet.

Cut out cutout from my address.

Regards,

RD
-------------------
-------------------

[...]

RagDyeR

The sheet is on the way back to you.

I didn't change anything in your sheet *except* what was in Column R.
In fact, I didn't even change R, but added revised formulas to Column S,
right along side.

I didn't get into the intricacies of your sheet and formulas, so make sure
that the change I made won't screw anything else up that I might not have
noticed.

It seems that the error message generated by your Sum formula caused all the
problem.

I *didn't* see that #DIV/0 error that you kept mentioning about in your
posts.

RD