Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tosca

Default VLOOKUP Problem

Hi everyone

I have Excel 2003 and several named ranges in a workbook. Several of the
named ranges have data such as:

1a
1d
2
3c
3e
5
9
12
14d
14e
21
129
130a
130b
130d

with data to the right of this column which is retrieved via VLOOKUP.

I need to retain the data in this order because this list is used as a drop
down list for data validation. When I set up the VLOOKUP, it generated
some errors so I checked to see if the data were in ascending order and,
needless to say, it reordered this data to:

2
5
9
12
21
129
130a
130b
130d
14d
14e
1a
1d
3c
3e

Is it possible to retain the driving data in the order that I need? The
cell format is "General" and the problem remains when I change this to
"Text". I just wonder if a custom format may allow me to do what I need,
but I haven't got a clue what setting I should make.

Thanks in advance.