Vicki

Default Problem with VLOOKUP and drop-down lists!

Hi i have created a table in sheet 1 i have named my first coloumn "Make",
In sheet two i have created a Drop down list of the car makes and in the
next box i would like to use a VLOOKUP to show the insurance group
automatically. i have used a VLOOKUP formula -
=VLOOKUP(Make,Sheet1!A4:B23,2,0).

However whenever i select an item from my dropdown list the IG stays the
same as 10 which is only relevent to one make of car. I have found that the
table with the drop down list is on row 15 in sheet 2 and that on row 15 in
sheet one where my table is the car IG is 10.

Can somebody please help me fix this problem as this work is very important.
Thank you very much
Yours
Victoria Timmins )
AO

Try this...

=VLOOKUP(Make,Sheet1!A4:B23,2,FALSE)

The 'false' returns an exact valve.

"Vicki" wrote:

Hi i have created a table in sheet 1 i have named my first coloumn "Make",
In sheet two i have created a Drop down list of the car makes and in the
next box i would like to use a VLOOKUP to show the insurance group
automatically. i have used a VLOOKUP formula -
=VLOOKUP(Make,Sheet1!A4:B23,2,0).

However whenever i select an item from my dropdown list the IG stays the
same as 10 which is only relevent to one make of car. I have found that the
table with the drop down list is on row 15 in sheet 2 and that on row 15 in
sheet one where my table is the car IG is 10.

Can somebody please help me fix this problem as this work is very important.
Thank you very much
Yours
Victoria Timmins )

Biff

Hi!

Try this...

=VLOOKUP(Make,Sheet1!A4:B23,2,FALSE)

The 'false' returns an exact valve.

So does zero: =VLOOKUP(Make,Sheet1!A4:B23,2,0)

But that's not the problem!

The problem is that you have to define the lookup_value as
the cell that contains the drop down and not the named
range. With the name MAKE as the lookup value, the
returned value will always be the corresponding value to
the first item in the list that is MAKE.

If your drop down is in cell A1:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A4:B23,2,0)

Biff

.