London

Default another simple problem...

I am trying to use the IF function based on a % - which it doesn't seem
to like. Can the cell be formatted as a % if you are using it in an IF
function?

John

--
London
London's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25363

Morrigan

What does Excel not seem to like?

London Wrote:
I am trying to use the IF function based on a % - which it doesn't seem
to like. Can the cell be formatted as a % if you are using it in an IF
function?

John

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389411

London

keeps coming up with FALSE

--
London
London's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25363
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389411

Morrigan

Can you be more specific what you did?

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389411

London

Pupils attendances

=IF(G690,"Excellent",IF(G675,"Very
good",IF(G660,"Good",IF(G650,"Unacceptable"))))

G6 is a percentage - all I wanted to input was the total number of
lessons and the number attended

--
London
London's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25363
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389411

Morrigan

Since it's a %, your formula should read

=IF(G60.90,"Excellent",IF(G60.75,"Very
good",IF(G60.60,"Good",IF(G60.50,"Unacceptable") )))

London Wrote:
Pupils attendances

=IF(G690,"Excellent",IF(G675,"Very
good",IF(G660,"Good",IF(G650,"Unacceptable"))))

G6 is a percentage - all I wanted to input was the total number of
lessons and the number attended

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389411

Morrigan

By the way, for 0-50% you will get "FALSE" not "UNACCEPTABLE".

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389411

London

yeah - i just through the amounts in to get it working.
It seems ok until I format the cell as a % then it just returns FALSE

--
London
London's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25363
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389411

Sandy Mann

London,

What Morrigan is saying to you is that a percentage, (at least under 100%),
is less than 1 so when you format the cell as percentage if divides anything
that you (then) enter into it by 100. He also pointed out that in your
formula there is no provision for the percentage being 50% or less. To
accomodate that make Morrigan's formula something like:

=IF(G60.9,"Excellent",IF(G60.75,"Very
good",IF(G60.6,"Good",IF(G60.5,"Could do Better","Unacceptable"))))

--
HTH

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk