Newberry

Default Search for specific words

I have imported data from a database.
One column contains comments which might include words such as:-
store
compound
laundry

If one of the above words is included in the text cell I would like to
assign a code to it in an adjacent column, i.e.
store A
compound B
laundry C
Is this possible
thanks
Newberry

--
Remove DOG from address

Dave R.

Try

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1),"A","")

change SEARCH to FIND to make it case sensitive.

"Newberry" wrote in message
I have imported data from a database.
One column contains comments which might include words such as:-
store
compound
laundry

If one of the above words is included in the text cell I would like to
assign a code to it in an adjacent column, i.e.
store A
compound B
laundry C
Is this possible
thanks
Newberry

--
Remove DOG from address

Newberry

Dave,
thanks for taking the time to reply.
When I enter your formula I get an error, I think one of the closing
brackets is missing from the formula but I'm not able to correct it.
Newberry

"Newberry" wrote in message
I have imported data from a database.
One column contains comments which might include words such as:-
store
compound
laundry

If one of the above words is included in the text cell I would like to
assign a code to it in an adjacent column, i.e.
store A
compound B
laundry C
Is this possible
thanks
Newberry

--
Remove DOG from address

Newberry

Following up my previous post, the following works for me,
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1)),"A","").
I added a second close bracket after the cell reference
Newberry