Graeme

Default numerical value of a letter

Please help:

In one cell you may have a letter. In another cell I want to use a formula
that returns the numerical value of the letter, e.g. a=1, b=2, c=3 etc.

The formula must not reference to anyother cell except for the one
containing the letter, i.e. this means you cannot use a vlookup.

Can someone please advise? Thanks.
Niek Otten

=CODE(UPPER(A1))-64

--