Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
navneetjn

Default Problem in using Vlookup (1st time user)

Hi,

I am new to Vlookup and tried using it in the following format

Sheet1 is named "header" Sheet2 is named "detail"
The sheet "header" has 8 columns, 1200 rows (all unique), and detail
has 6 columns and 29000 rows (with duplicates).
The records in sheet "header" A2:A1200 are unique
e.g.
169255
169226
169247
169248
169249
The records in sheet "detail" A2:A29497 may be duplicate
e.g.
169255
169255
169247
169247
169247
169248
169248
169248
169248
169249

Data in each sheet starts in Row 2, with row 1 being the headers for
the data.

I used the following formula in the "header" sheet at cell location I2
=VLOOKUP(A2,DETAIL!$A$2:$F$29497,5,FALSE)
and pulled this formula across 1200 records in sheet "header" to show
the data corresponding to A2 in the range $A$1:$F29497 for the 5th
column.

I get a N/A as the result . Please tell me what I am doing wrong here?
Is there any other way to do it. I arranged the data in ascending order
on both worksheets, but it still shows N/A.

Thanks in advance
Navneet

--
navneetjn