CA user

Default automatic filling in cells in excel

Is it possible to have a formula in one cell input data into another cell?

For example, if I want my formula in B3 to read if B3 equals zero then C4
will automatically be inputed with N/A.

If is possible, how would you write the formula?

Thanks for the Help!
Biff

Hi!

Is it possible to have a formula in one cell input data into another
cell?

No, it doesn't work that way.

What you would do is have a formula in cell C4 that tests cell B3 to see if
it equals zero.

Formula in C4:

=IF(B3=0,"N/A","")

This formula has 3 parts (called arguments) to it:

A logical test: B3=0
A value to return if the logical test is TRUE: "N/A"
A value to return if the logical test is FALSE: ""

Since you did not specify the value_if_FALSE argument, I assumed you might
want the cell left blank if B3 does not equal zero. That's what the double
quotes do: "".

Also, an empty cell will evaluate to zero, so if cell B3 is empty:

=IF(B3=0,"N/A","")

Will evaluate to TRUE and return N/A.

A more robust formula will test for both B3 not being empty and equalling
zero at the same time:

=IF(AND(B3<"",B3=0),"N/A","")

Biff