cathcarr1

Default How many different customers in a list?

Hi there,

I have some data a bit like this:

Column A Column B

customer1 red
customer1 red
customer2 red
customer2 blue
customer1 green
customer2 green
customer3 green

I want to know how many different customers appear in column A for each
colour in column B. For example, there are 2 different customers in the
list for red, 1 customer for blue, and 3 customers for green.

I am sure there is a perfectly simple way to do this, but it has me
stumped today!

Many thanks,

Catherine

--
cathcarr1
cathcarr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25184

Anne Troy

Try this, Cath:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...ft_excel.h tm

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"cathcarr1" wrote
in message ...

[...]

cathcarr1

Hi Anne,
Thats great! Thanks for the tip.
Cath

--
cathcarr1
cathcarr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25184
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=386725

Tom Ogilvy

So you don't care that it doesn't answer the question asked???

Tom Ogilvy

"cathcarr1" wrote
in message ...

Hi Anne,
Thats great! Thanks for the tip.
Cath

--
cathcarr1
cathcarr1's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=386725

cathcarr1

You are right Tom. It comes close, but doesn't actually answer the
question.

I need to be able to count the number of different customer names for
each colour. I don't want to specify particular customer names in a
formula, because there are over 1000 of them in my list.

So for example, for red there were two different customers that
appeared, and for green there were 3.

Can anyone else help?

Thx

Cath