flywhiz

Default Need formula that reads value and then displays value from same row, different column

Help. I am trying to setup a golf spreadsheet that contains two
worksheets. The first worksheet displays team numbers with the score
several columns to the right. the second worksheet summarizes the
information by displaying the team number and the score for the given
team number sorted by score. I am trying to create a formula on the
second worksheet that looks at the first worksheet , finds a particular
team number in column A for instance, and then displays the score for
that team which is contained several columns to the right. For
example, worksheet 1 looks similar to the following:

A B C

TEAM NAME SCORE
15 Bill/Bob 22.5
7 Rob/Gil 17

On spreadsheet 2, I would like to have a formula that finds team 15 in
column A and display the score that is contained in column C.

I tried the lookup function and it works for some teams and not others.
After reading Excel help, I think it is because lookup will find a
value that is equal to or less than the value I have given for the team
number. In any event, it did not work for me. Keep in mind that each
week the scheduled matchups change, and as a result the team numbers on
worksheet 1 will fall on different rows from week to week. The columns
for team number and score remain the same each week.

Does anyone know what formula, if any, can accomplish this for me?

Thanks in advance.

PS - sorry, I couldn't get the columns to line up correctly in my
example above.

--
flywhiz
flywhiz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25089

Biff

Hi!

Try changing your current lookup formula so that the last argument is FALSE
or 0 (zero):

=VLOOKUP(A1,B1:D100,2,FALSE)

Biff

"flywhiz" wrote in
message ...

[...]

flywhiz

GREAT! I got it to work using false. Thanks so much!