LBDuperon

Default Forcing a sum formula...

Please Help...

I have a spreadsheet I am using for inventory numbers and costs. I
have several worksheets that link to this the inventory sheet. I know
when I link to a cell and put "$" in front of the cell, it will make
the formula fixed on the inventory sheet. My problem happened when I
added new rows and sorted my data. None of the cells that I had put
the "$" in front of the cell followed the data to the new cell after
sorting.

How can I fix my formulas so I will be able to sort and have the
formulas stay fixed?

Thanks so much,
LB

--
LBDuperon
LBDuperon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24971

Lewis Clark

The "$" changes the relative reference to an absolute reference. It must be
applied to the row and the column separately. Try putting it in like this:
$A$1 The formula will always refer to A1 no matter where you copy it to.

If you do $A1, Column A will be fixed but the row will vary as you copy the
formula.
If you do A$1, Row 1 will be fixed but the column will vary as you copy the
formula.

Does this help?

"LBDuperon" wrote
in message ...

Please Help...

I have a spreadsheet I am using for inventory numbers and costs. I
have several worksheets that link to this the inventory sheet. I know
when I link to a cell and put "$" in front of the cell, it will make
the formula fixed on the inventory sheet. My problem happened when I
added new rows and sorted my data. None of the cells that I had put
the "$" in front of the cell followed the data to the new cell after
sorting.

How can I fix my formulas so I will be able to sort and have the
formulas stay fixed?

Thanks so much,
LB

--
LBDuperon
LBDuperon's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384971

LBDuperon

Now why didn't I know that????

Yes, you have been a huge help.

Thank much,
LB

--
LBDuperon
LBDuperon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24971
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384971

LBDuperon

Thank you so much Lewis. I did a quick test of this in a sample sheet
yesterday and it worked perfectly. This morning I converted all my
formulas to reflect this format: =Sum('Part Data Entry'!$K$250)

When I sort my table now by column K, it seems it is not really an
absolute reference.

What am I doing wrong?

~LB

--
LBDuperon
LBDuperon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24971
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384971

LBDuperon

I am still looking for help on this problem...anyone?

Why doesn't my absolute relationship remain "absolute" when I sort the
rows but it does remain absolute when a new row is just "inserted"
instead.

~LB

--
LBDuperon
LBDuperon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24971
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384971

LBDuperon

Anyone? I read everything I could find and don't see any solution to
this.