Alex H

Default Vlookup returning No data.

Hi. In Access I have a query which groups and counts a Medium Date field as
follows:
Marked: Format([Date Started],"mmm-yy")
StartCount: Count(Format([Date Started],"mmm-yy"))

In Excel I bring the data into a worksheet, 'Data from Mis' and have set the
field properties to Custom Date MMM-YY

On a second sheet, I am trying to set A59 (formatted Custom: mmm-yy) Vloopup
as follows:
=VLOOKUP(A59,'Data from MIS'!D4:D40,'Data from MIS'!E4:E40,FALSE)

I am returning an N/A -

Can someopne tell me why this is not working - is it a format type problem?

Thanks

Alex

Anne Troy

Alex, click on each cell---the one you're looking up and the one that should
be found---and see exactly what the values are in the formula bar. Then work
with the values and not the formats.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Alex H" wrote in message
Hi. In Access I have a query which groups and counts a Medium Date field

as
follows:
Marked: Format([Date Started],"mmm-yy")
StartCount: Count(Format([Date Started],"mmm-yy"))

In Excel I bring the data into a worksheet, 'Data from Mis' and have set

the
field properties to Custom Date MMM-YY

On a second sheet, I am trying to set A59 (formatted Custom: mmm-yy)

Vloopup
as follows:
=VLOOKUP(A59,'Data from MIS'!D4:D40,'Data from MIS'!E4:E40,FALSE)

I am returning an N/A -

Can someopne tell me why this is not working - is it a format type

problem?

Thanks

Alex

Tom Ogilvy

When the help say the third argument specifies the column from which to
return a value, it means the count relative to the second argument. So you
would have
=VLOOKUP(A59,'Data from MIS'!D4:E40,2,FALSE)
I would think

Tom Ogilvy

"Alex H" wrote in message
Hi. In Access I have a query which groups and counts a Medium Date field

as
follows:
Marked: Format([Date Started],"mmm-yy")
StartCount: Count(Format([Date Started],"mmm-yy"))

In Excel I bring the data into a worksheet, 'Data from Mis' and have set

the
field properties to Custom Date MMM-YY

On a second sheet, I am trying to set A59 (formatted Custom: mmm-yy)

Vloopup
as follows:
=VLOOKUP(A59,'Data from MIS'!D4:D40,'Data from MIS'!E4:E40,FALSE)

I am returning an N/A -

Can someopne tell me why this is not working - is it a format type

problem?

Thanks

Alex

Alex H

Hi Anne

Well in that case it should work shouldn't it? The data is below.
Shouldn't the cell I'm working with show 72?

'Data from MIS'!D15, shows Aug-04; 'Data from MIS'!E15 shows 72
A59 shows Aug-04 in cell, and 01/08/04 in Formula Bar.

Than ks

Alex

news:4702e$42c83dd6$97c5108d$7585@allthenewsgroups .com...