Senator

Default Automatic column width adjustment

I am importing .cvs records into Excel that I will save as an .xls file.
There are about 25 columns of information and each column has data of a
different character length. However, all the column widths are the same,
8.43. This presents a very laborious process of having to manually adjust
all the column widths. Is there a way to have Excel automatically adjust the
column widths to fit the longest string of characters in each of the columns?
Thanks
Anne Troy

Hi, Senator. You can record a macro to do this:
Here's the steps you want to take after you start recording:

Edit--Select all
Format--Column Autofit
Ctrl+Home
(stop recording)

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Senator" wrote in message
I am importing .cvs records into Excel that I will save as an .xls file.
There are about 25 columns of information and each column has data of a
different character length. However, all the column widths are the same,
"8.43". This presents a very laborious process of having to manually

adjust
all the column widths. Is there a way to have Excel automatically adjust

the
column widths to fit the longest string of characters in each of the

columns?
Thanks

Anne Troy

By the way, you'll want to store that macro in your personal.xls file.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Senator" wrote in message
I am importing .cvs records into Excel that I will save as an .xls file.
There are about 25 columns of information and each column has data of a
different character length. However, all the column widths are the same,
"8.43". This presents a very laborious process of having to manually

adjust
all the column widths. Is there a way to have Excel automatically adjust

the
column widths to fit the longest string of characters in each of the

columns?
Thanks

Hi

You best bet is to click on the square box above the row headings and to the
right of the cloumn headings. Thsi will select all the cells on the sheet.
You can then just double-click the line in between to columns (ie the line
between the letter A and the letter B) and the columns will all autofit to
their widest entries.

Andy.

"Senator" wrote in message
I am importing .cvs records into Excel that I will save as an .xls file.
There are about 25 columns of information and each column has data of a
different character length. However, all the column widths are the same,
"8.43". This presents a very laborious process of having to manually
adjust
all the column widths. Is there a way to have Excel automatically adjust
the
column widths to fit the longest string of characters in each of the
columns?
Thanks

Anne Troy

Andy meant "and to the left of the column headings". :)
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com