CindyH

Default Function or formula needed

First off, I'm using Office 97 and am very non-Excel oriented, so please be
patient with me and talk to me like I'm two. ;)

I have a workbook and in this workbook I have several worksheets, two of
which are named Clients and Coordinators.The Clients worksheet contains
normal database info such as name, address, zip etc. The Coordinator
worksheet has the Coordinator's name and zip.

What I need is a column in Clients to match the client's zip with the
Coordinator's zip and enter the name of the matching Coordinator
automatically. The coordinators will change every now and then, if that
matters. The zips shouldn't, but with the government who knows? ;)

So using this as an example:
Clients worksheet column A is client name, column I is the zip code, and
column R is where I want the coordinators name that is looked up on the
Coordinators worksheet. Coordinators worksheet column A is the coordinators
name and column B is the zip code, which should match the Clients worksheet
zip code.

Any help is appreciated in advance. I hope I explained this properly.

Cindy

Ron Coderre

Assuming you have column headings in row1, put this formula in cell R2 on the
Clients sheet and copy down:

=INDEX(Coordinators!$A$1:$A$1000,MATCH(Clients!$I2 ,Coordinators!$B$1:$B$1000,0),1)

That formula should find the zipcode on the Coordinator sheet that matches
the Client zipcode and return the Coordinator name.

If 1000 rows is not enough, adjust the ranges to suit your situation.

Does that help?
Ron

CindyH

Does that help?
Absolutely! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

CindyH

HTH

It does, thank you so much!

Cindy

rate function formula?? maaritkk Excel Worksheet Functions 4 June 15th 05 07:32 AM
weeknum function says jan1=week1, mod to first 4 day week needed sam Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 June 13th 05 04:05 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Help! Formula needed. Samrasr Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 26th 05 12:01 PM