Roger H.

Default Match Function

Hello.Thanks for considering my post. I am using the MATCH function to find
different numerical values within a large number of columns.The columns are
named with an underscore followed by a number : ( _1..._2..._3...).The
column that is chosen to be searched is determined by a random number
generated using the RANDBETWEEN function. I am typing the column name that
is randomly chosen into the range argument for the MATCH function but this
is woefully inadequate.But when I use the ampersand character to combine an
underscore with the randomly chosen column number as the range argument for
MATCH, I get an error ( VALUE!) .I know this is because it recognizes this
as text instead of a number.

How might I rename the columns or in some way get MATCH to recognize these
ranges? Thank you.

Niek Otten

Look in HELP for the INDIRECT() function

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Roger H." wrote in message
Hello.Thanks for considering my post. I am using the MATCH function to
find different numerical values within a large number of columns.The
columns are named with an underscore followed by a number : (
_1..._2..._3...).The column that is chosen to be searched is determined by
a random number generated using the RANDBETWEEN function. I am typing the
column name that is randomly chosen into the range argument for the MATCH
function but this is woefully inadequate.But when I use the ampersand
character to combine an underscore with the randomly chosen column number
as the range argument for MATCH, I get an error ( VALUE!) .I know this is
because it recognizes this as text instead of a number.

How might I rename the columns or in some way get MATCH to recognize these
ranges? Thank you.

Max

Perhaps try something like:
=MATCH("_"&randbetween(1,26),A1:Z1,0)
which would then find a random match for the column names:
--
Rgds
Max

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Match Function Problem - Won't Find Certain Numbers PE Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 May 9th 05 03:53 PM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM
I want to use the MATCH function with the AVERAGE function but I . Miguel Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 23rd 05 05:29 PM
Match Function arguments Stan Altshuller Excel Worksheet Functions 3 March 11th 05 08:48 PM