Scott Fendrich

Default How can I DISPLAY Filter Criteria

I want to be able to display the criteria that a user has selected while
using filters in Excel. The only way I currently know how to check my
criteria is by looking for the blue arrows!
Debra Dalgleish

To show the value that has been selected in the AutoFilter dropdown, you
can create a User Defined Function. Tom Ogilvy posted the following
function, that returns the criteria from a column in an autofiltered
table. It will show both criteria if there are two, and includes the
operator.

David McRitchie has instructions for storing a macro:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#havemacro

On the worksheet, create a formula that refers to the cell that contains
the Customer heading. For example, in cell H1, enter:
=ShowFilter(A1)&CHAR(SUBTOTAL(9,A2)*0+32)

'===============================================
Public Function ShowFilter(rng As Range)
'UDF that displays the filter criteria.
'posted by Tom Ogilvy 1/17/02
'To make it respond to a filter change, tie it to the subtotal command.
'=showfilter(B2)&CHAR(SUBTOTAL(9,B3)*0+32)
'So the above would show the criteria for column B

Dim filt As Filter
Dim sCrit1 As String
Dim sCrit2 As String
Dim sop As String
Dim lngOp As Long
Dim lngOff As Long
Dim frng As Range
Dim sh As Worksheet
Set sh = rng.Parent
If sh.FilterMode = False Then
ShowFilter = "No Active Filter"
Exit Function
End If
Set frng = sh.AutoFilter.Range

If Intersect(rng.EntireColumn, frng) Is Nothing Then
ShowFilter = CVErr(xlErrRef)
Else
lngOff = rng.Column - frng.Columns(1).Column + 1
If Not sh.AutoFilter.Filters(lngOff).On Then
ShowFilter = "No Conditions"
Else
Set filt = sh.AutoFilter.Filters(lngOff)
On Error Resume Next
sCrit1 = filt.Criteria1
sCrit2 = filt.Criteria2
lngOp = filt.Operator
If lngOp = xlAnd Then
sop = " And "
ElseIf lngOp = xlOr Then
sop = " or "
Else
sop = ""
End If
ShowFilter = sCrit1 & sop & sCrit2
End Function
'==============================================

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Jason Morin

Stephen Bullen also has a UDF that'll display a filter's criteria. You can
find it on John Walkenbach's website:

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip044.htm

HTH
Jason