MFreeman

Default How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?
Bob Umlas

=MID(A1,5,255)
If the result is numeric for sure, you can use
=1*MID(A1,5,255)
or
=MOD(A1,100000)

Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"MFreeman" wrote in message
How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

Barb R.

Amendment to previous response. the cells have more than 255 characters.
That's the max column width.

How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

Barb R.

=mid(a1,4,30)

If your results are more than 30 characters long, you'll have to change
that. The maximum column width is 255 characters.

How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

swatsp0p

=mid(A1,5,255)

where A1 is your data and 255 <= the length of data in the cell.

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=377825

Aladin Akyurek

MFreeman wrote:
How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

=REPLACE(A2,1,4,"")
Rob

If A1 contains text THEREFORE YOU and the formula in B2 is
=MID(A1,5,LEN(A1)-4) then EFORE YOU is returned.

HTH Rob

"Aladin Akyurek" wrote in message
MFreeman wrote:
How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

=REPLACE(A2,1,4,"")

Aladin Akyurek

I guess you didn't try the REPLACE formula.

MFreeman wrote:

How do I remove the 1st 4 characters of a field in Excel?

=REPLACE(A2,1,4,"")

--

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.
CLR

By "remove", if you mean that you WANT the first four characters "only",
then use......

=LEFT(A1,4)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3