Diederik

Default Auto average function

In Excel there is an autosum function. When you are in an empty cell below a
range of data this function puts the sum of the range above into the empty
cell.
I was wondering if it is possible to adapt this function so that, instead of
a sum, it calculates a different statistical value like average, number,
stdev?
My idea would be an extra button in the toolbar with auto... which opens a
checkbox menu from which you can choose the statistical function (sum, stdev,
average etc) that should apply to the range.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions
rae820

There is a way...if you go to insert--function, the category dropdown
box and look at statistical. then you get all sorts of functions you
are looking for...
=average(c1:c23)
=stdev(c1:c23)... for example

--
rae820
rae820's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24135

swatsp0p

I'm using XL 2003 and it has the exact feature you are asking for. It
is the dropdown arrow next to the AutoSum 'E' on the tool bar. It
offers:

Sum
Average
Count
Max
Min
...plus a link to the Insert Function dialog box.

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=377672

Diederik

"rae820" wrote:

There is a way...if you go to insert--function, the category dropdown
box and look at statistical. then you get all sorts of functions you
are looking for...
=average(c1:c23)
=stdev(c1:c23)... for example

--
rae820

It is too many clicks away before I get the function. I have now found a vb
workaround that des the trick for me. The code is as follows:

Sub VariableAverage()

Dim strFrom As String
Dim strTo As String

strFrom = ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Row
If strFrom = "" Then Exit Sub
strTo = ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).End(xlUp).Row
If strTo = "" Then Exit Sub

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=average(R" & strFrom & "C:R" & strTo & "C)"

Using The Average Function if a cell has NA carl Excel Worksheet Functions 6 May 21st 23 07:46 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Restore the auto save function, it was a life saver. JJB Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 20th 05 01:25 PM
average function in Excel 2002 Sherry New Users to Excel 13 May 8th 05 01:49 PM
I want to use the MATCH function with the AVERAGE function but I . Miguel Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 23rd 05 05:29 PM