rondajoy

Default opening text files that have more rows than 65536

Does anyone know how to get excel to add another worksheet to the workbook to
open a text file that has more rows than the excel limit of 65536?
Currently, I am just cutting from the text file in notebook and pasting into
multiple worksheets. I keep thinking there must be a faster way...

bj

If you import the data using the <data<Import external data and selecting
your file
One of the entries is "start import at row"
this is not perfect and it often still wont go far enough but it at least
lets you go to another sheet I have had it tell me different max numbers for
the allowable start point before.

I have also had people write script for me to divide the data sets into
smaller chunks
and have used other programs such as Jump which would allow more rows and
just exported the size chunks I needed.

"rondajoy" wrote:

Does anyone know how to get excel to add another worksheet to the workbook to
open a text file that has more rows than the excel limit of 65536?
Currently, I am just cutting from the text file in notebook and pasting into
multiple worksheets. I keep thinking there must be a faster way...

Duke Carey

Another approach:

If you have MS Access, I'd recommend you import your text file there first,
allowing Access to create a key column for you. You can then do either of
two things:

1st way:
use Excel's DataImport External DataNew Database Query menu to pull the
first 65000 rows into one sheet (using the key column that Access created),
then pulling the next 65000 rows into the second sheet, and so on.

2d way:
leave all the data in Access and Excel's DataImport External DataNew
Database Query menu to pull in only the subsets of data needed for the
immediate analysis. 2d way has the advantage of allowing you to quickly &
easily select against the entire dataset, rahter than having to worry about
data on 2 or more worksheets