Backdoor Cover

Default Advanced use of IF

I am trying to come up with a formula that does this.

If A7 on worksheet '05-29' is equal to any of the cells in column A on
worksheet 'notes' then give me the data in Column B on that same row.

I assumed a basic IF formual like this =IF(A7=Notes!A1,Notes!B1,"")
would work but it relies on the cells being in order everytime. In one
week account ID 239 might not buy anything from us so I won't need his
notes.

I have wasted a lot of time doing this manually so I would be thrilled
if someone could help.

Thanks!
Luke

--
Backdoor Cover
Backdoor Cover's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19842

Niek Otten

Hi Luke,

Look in HELP for the VLOOKUP function.
Pay attention to the description of the 4th argument of that function.

"Backdoor Cover"
<Backdoor.Cover.1q0jem_1117739150.5241@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:Backdoor.Cover.1q0jem_1117739150.5241@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

I am trying to come up with a formula that does this.

If A7 on worksheet '05-29' is equal to any of the cells in column A on
worksheet 'notes' then give me the data in Column B on that same row.

I assumed a basic IF formual like this =IF(A7=Notes!A1,Notes!B1,"")
would work but it relies on the cells being in order everytime. In one
week account ID 239 might not buy anything from us so I won't need his
notes.

I have wasted a lot of time doing this manually so I would be thrilled
if someone could help.

Thanks!
Luke

--
Backdoor Cover
Backdoor Cover's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376078

BenjieLop

Backdoor Cover Wrote:
I am trying to come up with a formula that does this.

If A7 on worksheet '05-29' is equal to any of the cells in column A on
worksheet 'notes' then give me the data in Column B on that same row.

I assumed a basic IF formual like this =IF(A7=Notes!A1,Notes!B1,"")
would work but it relies on the cells being in order everytime. In one
week account ID 239 might not buy anything from us so I won't need his
notes.

I have wasted a lot of time doing this manually so I would be thrilled
if someone could help.

Thanks!
Luke

Will this formula help you?

=if(countif(Notes!$A$1:$A100,A7)0,vlookup(A7,Note s!$A$1:$B$100,2,0),"")

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376078

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A7,Notes!$A$1:$B$1000,2,0)),"" ,VLOOKUP(A7,Notes!$A$1:$B$
1000,2,0))

Arvi Laanemets

[...]

Backdoor Cover

Worked like a charm

--
Backdoor Cover
Backdoor Cover's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19842
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376078

BenjieLop

Thank you for the feedback ... just glad that I can help.

Regards.