AggieBouse06

Default Multi-layer excel spreadsheets

Excel sheets should be made multi-layer (or multi-dimensional). It could be
very helpful to be able to keep multiple units information organized in a
single "spatial" orientation.

This idea is not new, but may be tricky to implement on a Visual Basic
backbone. Learning PHP has ruined me as to the ease of array manipulation,
and I now find Excel very limiting in its capabilities.

The Human mind thinks in 3-D, it's about time our computers did, too.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions
arno

Excel sheets should be made multi-layer (or multi-dimensional).

how would you print a report on a 3d-sheet?

arno
Niek Otten

<The Human mind thinks in 3-D

That depends entirely on the subject. Talking about time lines, many people
think 1-D. When calculating, many people use the metaphor of accountants
spreadsheet paper. Hard to find a better example of 2-D.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"AggieBouse06" wrote in message
Excel sheets should be made multi-layer (or multi-dimensional). It could
be
very helpful to be able to keep multiple units information organized in a
single "spatial" orientation.

This idea is not new, but may be tricky to implement on a Visual Basic
backbone. Learning PHP has ruined me as to the ease of array
manipulation,
and I now find Excel very limiting in its capabilities.

The Human mind thinks in 3-D, it's about time our computers did, too.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions

AggieBouse06

Format-Cells could be altered to include display preferences, and printing
would be by display. Only drawback there is needing to see more than one
peice of data from a cell in a printout. Since you cant do that already, i
don't see a problem.

"arno" wrote:

Excel sheets should be made multi-layer (or multi-dimensional).

how would you print a report on a 3d-sheet?

arno

AggieBouse06

A single timeline, yes. What if you needed to compare more than one timeline
against each other? (I know outlook does that). You would need another
dimension to stack the rest of the data.

For basic calculations, 2-D is fine, but as you increase the complexity of
the computations (and your boss still insists on using Excel), additional
sheets are needed, and programming the formulae becomes increasingly wasteful.

The primary question was why hasnt the capacity for this kind off linking
been introduced yet? Not everyone would use it, but heck, not everyone uses
multiple sheets in a file as it is. The flexibility is what I'm after. All
I ask is that the program have an option for increased complexity: not a
requirement, but an option.

"Niek Otten" wrote:

[...]

arno

AggieBouse06 wrote: