ingersollg

Default Average of an array of entries, minus the lowest entry

I need the average of an array of values, minus the lowest value of those
entries.
Mangesh Yadav

= AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10)

Mangesh

"ingersollg" wrote in message
I need the average of an array of values, minus the lowest value of those
entries.

Bob Phillips

I am reading this not as the average subtract the lowest value, but as the
average of all but the lowest value. If so, you can use

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A5<MIN(A1:A5),A1:A5))

which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote in message
= AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10)

Mangesh

"ingersollg" wrote in message
I need the average of an array of values, minus the lowest value of

those
entries.

ingersollg

That may be what I need.
I have a 19 Megawatt power plant with 19 generators. If I have 9 units on
line with an average of 0.8 Mw for each, what will the resulting average be
if one unit trips off liine? I need to be sure I don't overload the remaining
8 units.
Thank you, Sir. I'll try that and let you know how it works.
Ingersollg

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

= AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10)

Mangesh

"ingersollg" wrote in message
I need the average of an array of values, minus the lowest value of those
entries.

Aladin Akyurek

{=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A5<MIN(A1:A5),A1:A5))}

would behave differently than

=(SUM(A1:A5)-MIN(A1:A5))/(COUNT(A1:A5)-1)

when, for example:

A1: 3
A2: 4
A3: 3
A4: 6
A5: 3

Bob Phillips wrote:

I am reading this not as the average subtract the lowest value, but as

the

average of all but the lowest value. If so, you can use

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A5<MIN(A1:A5),A1:A5))

which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote in message
. ..

= AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10)

Mangesh

"ingersollg" wrote in message

I need the average of an array of values, minus the lowest value of

those

entries.

--

Dave Peterson

ingersollg

I have determined that it doesn't matter which cell in the array is dropped.
I used portions of two of the responses and came up with:

=(SUM(B4:T4)/(COUNT(B4:T4)-1))

and it works exactly as I needed it to. Thanks to all who responded.

Jerry Ingersoll

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

I am reading this not as the average subtract the lowest value, but as the
average of all but the lowest value. If so, you can use

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A5<MIN(A1:A5),A1:A5))

which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote in message
= AVERAGE(A1:A10)-MIN(A1:A10)

Mangesh

"ingersollg" wrote in message
I need the average of an array of values, minus the lowest value of

those
entries.

ingersollg

Thanks. I used portions of two of the responses and came up with:

=(SUM(B4:T4)/(COUNT(B4:T4)-1))

which works great.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Jerry Ingersoll