Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel not totaling right amount

Hello,
I am new at excel I am trying to make an order form, I wish I could put it on
here for viewing so I'll explain the best I can, I have it set like this:

Page/ Qty/ Product #/Description/ Price each/ Total. These are all columns
and probably about 15 rows down then under the Total column looks like this
Subtotal
Shipping .75
Total
Tax
Total Tax
Grand Total
everything is functioning except for the total tax does not have decimals and
have tried numerous things to get it there and when it Grand Totals it shorts
me
the .75 cents for the shipping any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:20:24 -0500, sunni1960 wrote:

Hello,
I am new at excel I am trying to make an order form, I wish I could put it on
here for viewing so I'll explain the best I can, I have it set like this:

Page/ Qty/ Product #/Description/ Price each/ Total. These are all columns
and probably about 15 rows down then under the Total column looks like this
Subtotal
Shipping .75
Total
Tax
Total Tax
Grand Total
everything is functioning except for the total tax does not have decimals and
have tried numerous things to get it there and when it Grand Totals it shorts
me
the .75 cents for the shipping any help would be appreciated.

Why have you started a new thread instead of responding to those who have tried to help you in your original thread on this topic?

In that thread, you should respond to the suggestions made, and, if they have not helped, you will need to provide examples of your data and the formulas you are using. One or both are not what they should be or what you assume.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"sunni1960" wrote:
I am new at excel I am trying to make an order form,
I wish I could put it on here for viewing

If no responses answer your question satisfactorily, you can upload an
example Excel file (devoid of personal and proprietary information) to a
file-sharing website, then post the URL (link; http://...) of the uploaded
file in a response here. The following is a list of some free file-sharing
websites.

Box.Net: http://www.box.net/files
Windows Live Skydrive: http://skydrive.live.com
MediaFi http://www.mediafire.com
FileFactory: http://www.filefactory.com
FileSavr: http://www.filesavr.com
FileDropper: http://www.filedropper.com
RapidSha http://www.rapidshare.com

sunnil1960 wrote:
so I'll explain the best I can, I have it set like this:
Page/ Qty/ Product #/Description/ Price each/ Total.
These are all columns and probably about 15 rows down then
under the Total column looks like this
Subtotal
Shipping .75
Total
Tax
Total Tax
Grand Total
everything is functioning except for the total tax does
not have decimals and I have tried numerous things to get
it there and when it Grand Totals it shorts me the .75
cents for the shipping any help would be appreciated.

I suspect the cell containing .75 might was formatted as Text before your
entered the value. Thus, it will be ignored in the calculation if you use
the SUM function instead of the plus (+) and minus (-) operators.

You should format the cell as Number or Currency with 2 decimal places.
However, Excel will not change the text to a number immediately. You must
also select the cell, press F2, then press Enter to "edit" the cell. Then
the new numeric format will take effect.

By the way, for reasons that are unrelated to the problem you describe, it
would be prudent to explicitly round any monetary calculation to the
smallest monetary unit, for example cents (2 decimal places).

So the formulas for Subtotal, Total and Grand Total should be
=ROUND(SUM(...),2), where SUM(...) represents your formula. And perhaps
Total Tax should be =ROUND(B18*B19,2) assuming that B18 contains Total and
B19 contains Tax entered as a percentage rate.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
Why have you started a new thread instead of responding
to those who have tried to help you in your original thread
on this topic?

Oh, I didn't make the connection. Of course, if the Tax rate is entered as
a whole number instead of percentage (e.g. 4.5%) or decimal fraction
(0.045), Total Tax will be computed incorrectly.

But on second thought, here Sunnil is talking about the .75 (75 cents)
shipping, which he says is not included in the total ("it shorts me the .75
cents for the shipping").

So I wonder if it is a different question after all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:01:57 -0700, "joeu2004" wrote:

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
Why have you started a new thread instead of responding
to those who have tried to help you in your original thread
on this topic?

Oh, I didn't make the connection. Of course, if the Tax rate is entered as
a whole number instead of percentage (e.g. 4.5%) or decimal fraction
(0.045), Total Tax will be computed incorrectly.

But on second thought, here Sunnil is talking about the .75 (75 cents)
shipping, which he says is not included in the total ("it shorts me the .75
cents for the shipping").

So I wonder if it is a different question after all.

It may be, but he did also include the comment about the problem with total tax:

everything is functioning except for the total tax does not have decimals and I
have tried numerous things to get it there and when it Grand Totals it shorts me
the .75 cents for the shipping any help would be appreciated.

In any event, it sure would be easier to figure out his problem, and that of many others, with more specific examples of their data and the methods they are using that result in the problem at hand.