Junior Member

Default If / Match in a IF / Match

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to do an if/match and in the false part I want the formula to re run an if/match.

The objective is to search for a value in other workbook in several tabs and bring me a name of the tab where the value is.

The example:

=IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]September 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"SEP 09",IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]August Renewal 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"AUG 09",FALSE))

The first parts works fine, but I don't know why the second if/match doesn't work.

Does anyone knows why or other solution?

Thanks
Senior Member

Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosacoruso View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to do an if/match and in the false part I want the formula to re run an if/match.

The objective is to search for a value in other workbook in several tabs and bring me a name of the tab where the value is.

The example:

=IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]September 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"SEP 09",IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]August Renewal 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"AUG 09",FALSE))

The first parts works fine, but I don't know why the second if/match doesn't work.

Does anyone knows why or other solution?

Thanks

Dear Cosacoruso, Good Morning.

As you didnīt mentioned the message error, is a little more dificult to think about it.

1)Your formula present this format:

=IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]September 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"SEP 09",

..IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]August Renewal 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"AUG 09",FALSE))

Are correct
September 2009'!
AND
August Renewal 2009'!
Names?

2) Argument
If your intention is to show the word FALSE on the second part you need to put it between quotes.

"FALSE" instead of FALSE only.

Does any of my comments above make sense for you?
__________________
I hope it can help you.

Best regards,
Marcilio Lobão
---------------------------
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzaropi View Post

Dear Cosacoruso, Good Morning.

As you didnīt mentioned the message error, is a little more dificult to think about it.

1)Your formula present this format:

=IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]September 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"SEP 09",

..IF(MATCH(D2,'[WITNESS Renewal YTD (UNTIL FY09) .xls]August Renewal 2009'!$K:$K,0)0,"AUG 09",FALSE))

Are correct
September 2009'!
AND
August Renewal 2009'!
Names?

2) Argument
If your intention is to show the word FALSE on the second part you need to put it between quotes.

"FALSE" instead of FALSE only.

Does any of my comments above make sense for you?
Hi! Thanks for replying.

The problem is that the formula doesn't work and I donīt know why.

It makes sense how is written.

September 2009 and August 2009 are the names of the tabs.

When I put the formula the false part doesn't run the second IF.

The final false is the default one.

I also tried in a new file using new names I wrote (not the default ones in the file, in case there's a problem with the names) but the same error the #N/A and I checked an the value is there in the second tab.

Thanks

best regards