Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to tell COUNTIF to not count a few characters

Im working on a colum that is a medical schedule for Doctor who will be
working that day so that I know how many exam rooms will be needed - right
now Im working with: =COUNTIF(F14:F43,"*") which tells me how many cells are
not blank. But I would like to have countif not count cells in that same
colum who have values like: OFF, ADMIN, OFF SITE and etc. Am I using the
correct function? PLEASE HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Rafa

Countif is a very efficient function
=COUNTIF(F14:F43,"OFF*")
will deal with both Off and Off Site
=COUNTIF(F14:F43,"Admin")

Deduct these values from your other value to get the net figure.
--

Regards
Roger Govier

"Rafa" wrote in message
Im working on a colum that is a medical schedule for Doctor who will be
working that day so that I know how many exam rooms will be needed - right
now Im working with: =COUNTIF(F14:F43,"*") which tells me how many cells
are
not blank. But I would like to have countif not count cells in that same
colum who have values like: OFF, ADMIN, OFF SITE and etc. Am I using the
correct function? PLEASE HELP!

signature database 5172 (20100604) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5172 (20100604) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are looking for exact words in the cells then try
=SUM(COUNTIF(F14:F43,{"OFF","Admin","Off site"})

OR incase you are looking for text string within the entries then try the
below..You can ignore Off site since "Off" is already mentioned in the search
list