Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Remove non-space spaces?

I have a large spreadhsheet with data I've manually copied/pasted from
various sources including web pages.

As I am trying to do things like import to Mysql or even Trim in Excel I
find there are many spaced between words which aren't recognized as such (I
know this because they don't Trim, and or when doing shift-arrow to jump
between words they ignore that space)

Is there some way/function to search for non-space spaces and replace? Is
there some character set they could belong to? I was/am hoping for some type
of advanced Trim function but am doubtful that is going to be that easy.

Right now when I find a 'bad' record I select the character that seems to be
a space, and do a search replace on it with space, but that could take
forever.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In some empty cell type formula =char(160)
This is a non-breaking spaces - it will be invisible
Select and copy that character
Use this in the Find & Replace dialog
best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"msnyc07" wrote in message
I have a large spreadhsheet with data I've manually copied/pasted from
various sources including web pages.

As I am trying to do things like import to Mysql or even Trim in Excel I
find there are many spaced between words which aren't recognized as such
(I
know this because they don't Trim, and or when doing shift-arrow to jump
between words they ignore that space)

Is there some way/function to search for non-space spaces and replace? Is
there some character set they could belong to? I was/am hoping for some
type
of advanced Trim function but am doubtful that is going to be that easy.

Right now when I find a 'bad' record I select the character that seems to
be
a space, and do a search replace on it with space, but that could take
forever.

Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyc07 View Post
I have a large spreadhsheet with data I've manually copied/pasted from
various sources including web pages.

As I am trying to do things like import to Mysql or even Trim in Excel I
find there are many spaced between words which aren't recognized as such (I
know this because they don't Trim, and or when doing shift-arrow to jump
between words they ignore that space)

Is there some way/function to search for non-space spaces and replace? Is
there some character set they could belong to? I was/am hoping for some type
of advanced Trim function but am doubtful that is going to be that easy.

Right now when I find a 'bad' record I select the character that seems to be
a space, and do a search replace on it with space, but that could take
forever.
if you have more spaces between words, try this
Cltr + H (find and replace)
enter 5 spaces in "Find what"
enter single space in "Replace with"

similarly try 4 spaces, 3 spaces, 2 spaces

in descending order of spaces.

all the best
Thanks
Bala
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Or simply use Alt + 0160 in the replace what dialog.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP