Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Help

I would like to remove every character up to the "_" and retrieve the name to
the right. Can someone please help me with a formulat that would work for me.
00232902_Joe Smith

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I wouldn't bother with a formula.

Just use DataText to ColumnsDelimited by hyphen.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:00:01 -0700, Nikki
wrote:

I would like to remove every character up to the "_" and retrieve the name to
the right. Can someone please help me with a formulat that would work for me.
00232902_Joe Smith

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nikki wrote:
I would like to remove every character up to the "_" and retrieve the name to
the right. Can someone please help me with a formulat that would work for me.
00232902_Joe Smith

Thanks

=MID(A1,FIND("_",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could do this with a formula but I think the easiest way to do it would
be to use 'text to columns'

Highlight the cell(s) you want to remove the name from then go
'data'....'text to columns'....'deliminated'...Under deliminators click in
the 'other' box and type in the "_" then hit finish. It should separate the
name. (You may wish to insert some blank columns to the right of the column
you will be working on as text to columns will want to create it's own
columns.)