Old May 18th 10, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default extend the range of cells for a drop down list

I have a range of cells (named staff) on a worksheet in the workbook where
the drop down list will be used. Additional cells were added to the range of
cells, but I can't get Excel to include them on the named list. Can I not
expand the range of cells or do I need to name the expanded list with a new
range name?

Old May 18th 10, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

use a self adjusting defined name such as mylist and in the refers to box

=offset($a$1,1,0,counta($a:$a),1)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Old May 18th 10, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Marge
If you're using Excel 2007, simply delete the name "staff" and then name
the new list "staff". In earlier versions you can simply name the new list
"staff" without having to first delete that name. HTH Otto

Old May 18th 10, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

news

Old May 18th 10, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select "staff" in insertnamedefined names.

In the "refers to" dialog simply edit the range and OK

I like Don's suggestion of a dynamic range best however.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old May 18th 10, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Marge
In 2003, when you do Insert - Name - Define, if you select the name, it
will revert back to the old list. Don't select the name. Type it in. HTH
Otto

Old May 19th 10, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Simply convert the range to a Table (Ctrl+L). When you convert a range to a
Table, it auto expands

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com