Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF formula help?

Hi, can anyone help me write an IF statement? I have a list of names in
Column A and want to check it against another list of names in Column D - if
the name matches one of the names in Column D I'd like it to put a Y in
Column B. I tried
=IF(A2,VLOOKUP($D$2:$D$1631,"Y","N")) but it doesn't work.
--
Thank you in advance!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

daisy wrote:
Hi, can anyone help me write an IF statement? I have a list of names in
Column A and want to check it against another list of names in Column D - if
the name matches one of the names in Column D I'd like it to put a Y in
Column B. I tried
=IF(A2,VLOOKUP($D$2:$D$1631,"Y","N")) but it doesn't work.

Try looking in the help file for the proper format for the IF and VLOOKUP
functions...

IF( logical_test , value_if_true , value_if_false )

VLOOKUP( lookup_value , table_array , col_index_num , range_lookup )

I think this will work for your needs:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,$D$2:$D$1631,1,FALSE)),"N", "Y")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's one way...

=IF(COUNTIF(D$2:D$1631,A2),"Y","N")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"daisy" wrote in message
Hi, can anyone help me write an IF statement? I have a list of names in
Column A and want to check it against another list of names in Column D -
if
the name matches one of the names in Column D I'd like it to put a Y in
Column B. I tried
=IF(A2,VLOOKUP($D$2:$D$1631,"Y","N")) but it doesn't work.
--
Thank you in advance!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copy and paste the below formula in B2 cell.
=IF(A2="","",IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF(D:D,A2)),"Y","N") )

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"daisy" wrote:

Hi, can anyone help me write an IF statement? I have a list of names in
Column A and want to check it against another list of names in Column D - if
the name matches one of the names in Column D I'd like it to put a Y in
Column B. I tried
=IF(A2,VLOOKUP($D$2:$D$1631,"Y","N")) but it doesn't work.
--
Thank you in advance!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks everyone - :)
--
Thank you in advance!!!!

"Glenn" wrote:

daisy wrote:
Hi, can anyone help me write an IF statement? I have a list of names in
Column A and want to check it against another list of names in Column D - if
the name matches one of the names in Column D I'd like it to put a Y in
Column B. I tried
=IF(A2,VLOOKUP($D$2:$D$1631,"Y","N")) but it doesn't work.

Try looking in the help file for the proper format for the IF and VLOOKUP
functions...

IF( logical_test , value_if_true , value_if_false )

VLOOKUP( lookup_value , table_array , col_index_num , range_lookup )

I think this will work for your needs:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,$D$2:$D$1631,1,FALSE)),"N", "Y")

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Correction to my previous post.

=IF(A2="","",IF(COUNTIF(D:D,A2)0,"Y","N"))

(Ms-Exl-Learner)