Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Multiple condition data validation

Is it possible to set up data validation to allow only numbers greater than
or equal to zero OR text equal to n/a.

I have check sheets for machine maintenance with specific tests listed and
cells formatted to accept results. These results are numeric (=0) but there
are some machines without certain options fitted so some checks are not
relevant. I would like to allow the user to enter n/a in these cells if the
check is not required.

Any ideas?

--
Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 6 May 2010 17:00:17 +0100, "IanC" wrote:

Is it possible to set up data validation to allow only numbers greater than
or equal to zero OR text equal to n/a.

I have check sheets for machine maintenance with specific tests listed and
cells formatted to accept results. These results are numeric (=0) but there
are some machines without certain options fitted so some checks are not
relevant. I would like to allow the user to enter n/a in these cells if the
check is not required.

Any ideas?

--
Ian

You could use a formula for the validation:

=OR(AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1=0),EXACT(A1,"n/a"))

If you want to allow the n/a to be case insensitive, then try:

=OR(AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1=0),A1="n/a")

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes you can.

Select Custom as the type and use this formula
=OR(AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1=0),A1="n/a")
--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

.