Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Format Ratio Q

How can I express below in a ratio format? It returns an invalid
error. If I was to just do it without the text, I'd simply FORMAT,
custom 0.0" :1", but it doesn't seem to work that way here. Any
suggestions?

="don't "&TEXT(C14/D14,"0.0" :1"")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When you have quotes within quotes, you need to double them up, as in:
="don't "&TEXT(C14/D14,"0.0"" :1""")

I'm not sure why you want the space before the colon, but that's up to you.

Regards,
Fred

"Seanie" wrote in message
How can I express below in a ratio format? It returns an invalid
error. If I was to just do it without the text, I'd simply FORMAT,
custom 0.0" :1", but it doesn't seem to work that way here. Any
suggestions?

="don't "&TEXT(C14/D14,"0.0" :1"")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 5/1/2010 9:17 AM, Seanie wrote:
How can I express below in a ratio format? It returns an invalid
error. If I was to just do it without the text, I'd simply FORMAT,
custom 0.0" :1", but it doesn't seem to work that way here. Any
suggestions?

="don't "&TEXT(C14/D14,"0.0" :1"")

custom 0.0" :1", but it doesn't seem to work that way here.

I believe the reason is due to the ":" character. I believe Excel
"thinks" it has to format a time value. Hence the error.
You can tell Excel to ignore the offending characte with something like
this:

="don't "&TEXT(C14/D14,"0.0 \:1")

You 'could do something like this if you want.

=TEXT( C15/D15,"\Do\n't 0.0 \:1")

HTH :)
Dana DeLouis