Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SKR SKR is offline

Default HOW DO I COLLECT TEXT DATA FROM A COLUMN

I have a worksheet of about 400 rows and 5 columns. Most of the data is
repeated with varying values. I need to calculate / separate data for each
item in the column. How do I do that? Iam using excel 2003. - for this
problem I tried to use the find command. But I am not able to save or copy
the data displayed. Any help is welcome.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
you can filter the information by item, then if you want to copy the
filtered information hightlight the filtered data, CTRL + G, special, visible
cells only, then CTRL + C, go to where you need to paste the information, and
paste it

"skr" wrote:

I have a worksheet of about 400 rows and 5 columns. Most of the data is
repeated with varying values. I need to calculate / separate data for each
item in the column. How do I do that? Iam using excel 2003. - for this
problem I tried to use the find command. But I am not able to save or copy
the data displayed. Any help is welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:01:01 -0700, skr wrote:

I have a worksheet of about 400 rows and 5 columns. Most of the data is
repeated with varying values. I need to calculate / separate data for each
item in the column. How do I do that? Iam using excel 2003. - for this
problem I tried to use the find command. But I am not able to save or copy
the data displayed. Any help is welcome.

You need to look at the pattern of the text within the cell, and devise a
method of extracting that which you want and placing it in another cell.

Find will take you to the cell, and you can then select and copy the data you
wish from that cell.

Or you could post the details of the cell contents, and exactly what you are
trying to extract and do, and probably come up with a better solution.
--ron