Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot table to calculate variance showing budget and actual.

Hi,
I know this is rather simple, but I just could not get it right. I have this
data:

Expenese Type Amt Scenario
Staff cost 200 Budget
Admin cost 75 Budget
Office rent 5000 Budget
Staff cost 100 Actual
Admin cost 45 Actual
Office rent 300 Actual
I am able to get the difference using the pivot table "Difference from", but
it only showed that single column. I would like my pivot table to show:

Expenese Type Budget Actual Variance
Staff cost 200 100 100
Admin cost 75 45 30
Office rent 5000 300 4700

Appreciate all guidance and hints.
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

EXCEL 2007

I have just put up a file for you at:-

http://www.pierrefondes.com/

Item number 95 (towards the top of my home page at the time of posting).

This appears to give you what you want.

If you agree please hit Yes.

Thanks.

"YY san." wrote:

Hi,
I know this is rather simple, but I just could not get it right. I have this
data:

Expenese Type Amt Scenario
Staff cost 200 Budget
Admin cost 75 Budget
Office rent 5000 Budget
Staff cost 100 Actual
Admin cost 45 Actual
Office rent 300 Actual
I am able to get the difference using the pivot table "Difference from", but
it only showed that single column. I would like my pivot table to show:

Expenese Type Budget Actual Variance
Staff cost 200 100 100
Admin cost 75 45 30
Office rent 5000 300 4700

Appreciate all guidance and hints.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You should convert the items under the Scenario column I.e. Budget and
Actual to columns instead. After the restructuring, there would be 4
columns in your source data - Expenses type, Amt, Base and Actual. Now
create a pivot from this and then you may write a calculated field

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"YY san." wrote in message
I know this is rather simple, but I just could not get it right. I have
this
data:

Expenese Type Amt Scenario
Staff cost 200 Budget
Admin cost 75 Budget
Office rent 5000 Budget
Staff cost 100 Actual
Admin cost 45 Actual
Office rent 300 Actual
I am able to get the difference using the pivot table "Difference from",
but
it only showed that single column. I would like my pivot table to show:

Expenese Type Budget Actual Variance
Staff cost 200 100 100
Admin cost 75 45 30
Office rent 5000 300 4700

Appreciate all guidance and hints.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ashish Mathur wrote on 04/22/2010 00:15 ET :
Hi,

You should convert the items under the Scenario column I.e. Budget and
Actual to columns instead. After the restructuring, there would be 4
columns in your source data - Expenses type, Amt, Base and Actual. Now
create a pivot from this and then you may write a calculated field

Regards,

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"YY san." wrote in message
Hi,
I know this is rather simple, but I just could not get it right. I have
this
data:

Expenese Type Amt Scenario
Staff cost 200 Budget
Admin cost 75 Budget
Office rent 5000 Budget
Staff cost 100 Actual
Admin cost 45 Actual
Office rent 300 Actual
I am able to get the difference using the pivot table "Difference
from",
but
it only showed that single column. I would like my pivot table to show:

Expenese Type Budget Actual Variance
Staff cost 200 100 100
Admin cost 75 45 30
Office rent 5000 300 4700

Appreciate all guidance and hints.
Thanks!

I'm trying to do the same thing the person above is. Because my pivots
originate from a financial software output and then go through an Access
Database, I have Actuals and Budget as two options under one field. Basically
need to do: =sumif(Scenario, "Actual", Sales)-(Scenario,
"Budget", Sales). Sumif doesn't seem to work inside the calculated
field option and it's near impossible to have Actual and Budget be separate
fields, otherwise the response from the 2nd poster would be the solution. I
found a way around the Actual Budget problem in Access but I have this problem
for finding Gross Margin(Sales-Expenses) and average price(Sales/Units). I may
try the same Access solution for Sales-Expenses I did for Actual and Budget but
those only work because when it's Actual it's a positive and when it's Budget
it's a negative. For Sales/Units I really need to do something in the
calculated field....

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!