Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ISNA VLOOKUP does not recognize 63023

Hello
I need help. The formula listed below works for all the employee numbers on
my spreadsheet which are in column B except for the employee number 63023. I
tried to convert this number to a text, general, number, reentered it on
another row and spreadsheet and it does not work; instead I get a zero value.
The only time it works is when I key it in as €˜63023. Why does it work for
all other 4 or 5 digit numbers and not 63023?

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B260,Sheet1!$B$5:$H$290,COLUMNS(S heet1!$B:$H),FALSE))=TRUE,0,VLOOKUP(B260,Sheet1!$B $5:$H$290,COLUMNS(Sheet1!$B:$H),FALSE))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe the number 63023 has been entered as text in column B on Sheet1.

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'd still say it was a mismatched text/number thing.

Make sure you format both cells (the lookup value and the cell in the table that
matches!) and then reenter the value in both locations -- it's not enough to
just reformat the cell.

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on troubleshooting =vlookup():
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi
I formatted the cells to match and it still does not work. I used a new
spreadsheet and keyed the data in and it still does not give me the correct
amount. When I key in another employee number in the the same cell - it will
retrieve the data so it is not the format in question . It just does not like
63023? Any other suggestions?

Nain wrote:

Hello
I need help. The formula listed below works for all the employee numbers on
my spreadsheet which are in column B except for the employee number 63023. I
tried to convert this number to a text, general, number, reentered it on
another row and spreadsheet and it does not work; instead I get a zero value.
The only time it works is when I key it in as €˜63023. Why does it work for
all other 4 or 5 digit numbers and not 63023?

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B260,Sheet1!$B$5:$H$290,COLUMNS(S heet1!$B:$H),FALSE))=TRUE,0,VLOOKUP(B260,Sheet1!$B $5:$H$290,COLUMNS(Sheet1!$B:$H),FALSE))

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's not enough to just change the format. You have to change the value, too.

Remember to change the value in both locations, too.

And verify that your =vlookup() table is ok.

If you have the matching value in A23 and your =vlookup() looks like:

=vlookup(x99,sheet2!a1:b20,2,false)

It'll never find that match.

If this doesn't help, you may want to share the formula, too.