Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default data validation using named range from another file

I am setting up a list for cells. I am using data validation and
picking a named range. I have no issue if the range is in the active
workbook. but i need to use a range from a different workbook. is that
possible? if so how?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 12 avr, 21:33, pat67 wrote:
I am setting up a list for cells. I am using data validation and
picking a named range. I have no issue if the range is in the active
workbook. but i need to use a range from a different workbook. is that
possible? if so how?

Thanks

Hello,

If you want to use a named range from a closed workbook, in a
worksheet formula for example like average, you can enter your formula
like this
= average("[path to the closed workbook]\[closed workbook name].xls"!
[name of the range]

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 12, 6:36*pm, "
wrote:
On 12 avr, 21:33, pat67 wrote:

I am setting up a list for cells. I am using data validation and
picking a named range. I have no issue if the range is in the active
workbook. but i need to use a range from a different workbook. is that
possible? if so how?

Thanks

Hello,

If you want to use a named range from a closed workbook, in a
worksheet formula for example like average, you can enter your formula
like this
= average("[path to the closed workbook]\[closed workbook name].xls"!
[name of the range]

HTH

when i do that it says named range not found. but it exists. any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See Debra Dalgleish's site

NOTE: the source workbook must be open when selecting from the DV dropdown.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP