Greg

Default Dropdown boxes (box 1 result = box 2

I'm trying to use a dropdown box that after choosing will create choices for
dropdown box 2.
box 1:
1
2
3
box 2:
1 orange
1 blue
1 green
2 yellow
2 purple
2 black
3 etc etc etc

Any idea?
thanks in advance, greg

Louis Pretorius (Johannesurg, RSA)

Hi Greg
Create named lists of the vairous drop-downs you want.
Do a data validation, and in the Source, do ifs
=if($A$1="XXX",LIST1,if($A$1=YYY,LIST2,ERROR)) etc

Cheers
Louis

"Greg" wrote:

I'm trying to use a dropdown box that after choosing will create choices for
dropdown box 2.
box 1:
1
2
3
box 2:
1 orange
1 blue
1 green
2 yellow
2 purple
2 black
3 etc etc etc

Any idea?
thanks in advance, greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Solution given in "http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html " worked...

but

If I select "1" then obviously list would display orange,blue & green...
here if assume that I select blue. After that when I select "2" list gets
updated for yellow, purple & black but cell still displays Blue (earlier
selection)... I don't want this I want after selecting 2 the other list
should display default value or blank... but certainly not the earlier
selection... how can i do this??

Thanks
Milind

"Greg" wrote:

I'm trying to use a dropdown box that after choosing will create choices for
dropdown box 2.
box 1:
1
2