Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking for Text strings

I lost all my data and have to redo my home spreadsheet, but It's been awhile
since I made it and I have forgotten some of my formulas. I need a simple one
tho. On my input page column A I list the amounts. In column B I use a text
code for the vender i.e.

Column A Column B
$42.00 WM
$59.00 SW

Now what I need is the formula that will place the amount on my data sheet
depending on the "WM" or "SW" text codes like so.

Wal-mart Safeway
$42.00 $59.00

I had my last workbook set up this way but I haven't worked with formulas in
a long time and my mind isn't as sharp as it once was. Thanks in advance for
the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Additional example data might be helpful, but my first guess would be that
you want to use the SUMIF function.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Scats" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Luke is correct. Your formula might look like this:

for Safeway:

SUMIF(B2:B19,"sw",A2:A19)

"Scats" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That helps a lot. That's what I was looking for almost. I wanted it to look
for certain letters and put the amount in the right cells. But with this
formula if it doesn't find the code then it leaves a $0.00. How do I get it
to just leave the cell empty if that certain code isn't there.